View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
Kianfar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
Rarely above 3,000 ? you're missing most of the fun!

There is no one optimum shift RPM (after warming up) , if you want more acceleration shift higher, for fuel economy/cruising, shift lower.
Listening to the engine, I just felt like given the 6 gears, they should be changed frequently, and 2500-3000 RPM seemed ideal. It seems like a lot of RPM saying going from 1-2 and changing at 4Kish. Wondering if I'll get a chirp lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Kianfar, I would say you're being a bit too nice to the car. These cars like to be revved (once they're warm), and there's a whole extra 5000rpms you're leaving untapped. These cars sound lovely when you wind them up, and you're not doing them any harm. On the contrary, it has been noted on at least a few occasions that Boxsters that are babied can have some serious problems and a rather short lifespan (not necessarily proven fact, but certainly observed). Put it through its paces once in a while.

Feel no worries about shifting between 3- and 4000rpms, the car will be just fine, if not happier. 2.5k is really short-shifting a very rev-happy car, and crusing below 3000rpms is not good for it. The only time I ever shift that low is when I'm driving by a cop so he doesn't think I'm trying to test him or blatantly disregard his presence by racing my engine.

Glad you found what you were looking for in the manual.
The boxster is my daily driver, with a nice commute, although all highway. Like I was saying, I thought I was on the aggressive side at 3000 area, but I'm eager to test this 3500-4000 range. Fuel consumption is nice to have, given the gas prices and the high commute. What RPM do you start the car in from a stop to a roll? I haven't quit got that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
I would not read that into the chart -- it is just a label identifying which line corresponds to each gear, and that location was fairly centered. I believe the optimal shift point depends on how you're driving -- for maximum acceleration, the optimal point is significantly higher than that. for everyday driving, that's probably not far off from where I shift (although I think I run it up a bit higher).
I see
Kianfar is offline   Reply With Quote