View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
Kianfar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Not much I can say here regarding optimum shifting points, but the manual (for my base 2.5 5-speed) says to shift below 4000rpms until the car has reached optimum temperature. I adhere to it so much that unless I'm intending to run through a gear I pretty much shift around that 4000 (which is also easy to spot since it's right at the top of the gauge) during my regular driving after the car has warmed up. I've found that things seem to just mesh a lot better at that point. Revs drop to where you're just about where you need to be when moving to the next gear up for a nice, smooth shift, and the car is just starting to get happy and make nicer noises at that 4000 mark. As has become the rule of thumb here, I also follow the advice to shift above 3000rpms as much as possible and to keep the rpms above 3000 as much as possible. So when I'm first driving I have a rather narrow 1000rpms to play with and stay within, but after that it's pretty much 3000+ to shift and to cruise to keep the car happy.
Interesting, I shift every 2.5K. I find 3000 - 4000 range to be on the higher end. Also on my downshifts, when I give the gas a blip to rev match the clutch to the RPM, I rarely go above 3000. It's worked ok so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
Like this? Page 251 of my owner's manual
That seems to be what I'm looking for. Interesting, that it put 1,2,3,4,5,6 between the 3000-3500 range. Wondering if that's the optimal best shift area. If that's the case, I need to ad 1K to what I'm doing now, which is up shift at 2500.
Kianfar is offline   Reply With Quote