View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
feelyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegearhead View Post
Like most of you I'm very worried about the IMS problem. However with even the new ceramic units failing (which % failures is probably greater then the factory unit) I might choose to keep my 100,000 mile unit in. I subscribe to the theory that if a boxster survives to the 80,000 or so mile mark the inner seal has failed sufficiently for engine oil to start lubricating the bearing. As long as the engine sees high revs and keeps the oil pressure up the bearing will be ok. So if I change my bearing I might be removing a bearing thats in a good spot. Am I completely foolish? It just doesn't seem like you hear about a lot of high milage boxsters with failed IMS bearings.

Side note. I spoke with the owner of Luftechnic(a porsche only race and repair shop) here in Richmond and he told me that he does frequently replace failing IMS bearings but the failure is rarely catastrophic. Normally the cars arrive running poorly or making a terrible noise. Everything you hear about these bearings is conflicting, its frustrating.

Cheers,
To answer your question.... Yes.... According to the manufacture of the bearing, it has a life span of 1000hrs at 10,000 rpms, 2000hrs at 5000rpms and so on. Plus at if you idle alot in traffic that is hrs at 0 mileage, heat and contamination also plays a role. You do the math on the way you drive, but the average mileage is approx 125,000 before the bearing is completely toast. YMMV.