View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
SD987

"2) Keep the top down, but employ the little red clip. This keeps the motion sensor on with the top down. But, I always remove and stow my V1, radio faceplate, rollbar inserts and windscreen in the rear trunk. Theives know all about rollbar inserts and windscreens and they're stolen all the time, showing up on Ebay."

Wow...wouldn't it just be easier to put the top up? I think your process has only one less step then a space-shuttle launch. I low-mount the V1 on the windshield and leave both that and the iPod sitting in the modulator base top-down. If I'm going to be gone for a longish time I just close the top, but don't stow them. I feel that if I just roll the windows up it's not easy to reach into get those items, unless you're this guy :troll:

"Good point delerious about the windstop...I always lock up my radar detector and MP3 however, I never thought to remove the windstop. I think you just saved me 375 clams."

I don't think the entire windstop assembly is at jeopardy on your 987 since it's not as easy to remove as it is on the 986. FYI, the clear plastic portion is $181.70 to replace, on the 987.

"I have placed small, convex mirrors on my regular mirrors so I can see the curb as I back into the parking spot."

Does this allow you to see your spoiler go up and down? Wondering where I could stick one of those little mirrors to see it, just for amusement.

"And have you had any problems when you left you car such as door dings, being keyed, or vandalism?"

Kavlono, this is going to sound terribly subjective, but since we live in and frequent the same areas I'll pass on my personal observation that I don't think you have to much to worry about. I don't think the Box is more prone to the above then any other high-end car. From personal experience, I'd say BMWs are more prone but of course have no scientific basis for saying so.

On another note...I haven't parked at 1200 Prospect in La Jolla but would reiterate that bottoming out is something you need to get attuned to, particularly if you're not used to driving low-clearance vehicles. But you'll be fine following the advice posted elsewhere about coming in at an angle etc...

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote