View Single Post
Old 03-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
Lighter. Faster. More Fuel Efficient. Are these attributes now anathema to the "purists?"
Pray, what would you have Porsche do? Slow it down? Beef it up? Reduce the mileage?

One would think Porsche has slapped a Boxster badge on a 645i, fer crying out loud. I suggest that condemning such a potentially wonderful car for subjective qualities such as steering feel before having driven said car is a bit premature.

And I'll be the first to come on here lamenting the wooden steering if that's what it has, after I spend time driving one.
I don't think those are the reasons the 997 and 996 Cabriolet buyers (and BMW Convertible drivers) are citing for their change of heart on the Boxster.

They aren't really the types who make it out to a DE or autocross regularly. So the improved engineering wasn't something they really had a chance to examine before proclaiming that this was the first Boxster they could envision themselves in. They decided on other more image-based criteria. The fact that it's quicker and more technological wasn't what was keeping them from embracing the 987 since the 3.4 and Boxster Spyder peforms well already.

The 981 is more status symbol in its visual appeal which has an obvious appeal for a Cabriolet buyer.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote