View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
LAP1DOUG

Wow, I had not expected such a negative response to this concept. You would have thought I had criticized Mobil 1 or something.

Anyway, this mixture has been used successfully in my sport bike for about 10 years, and in both of my BMW's for the last 5 years.

Prior to that I ran a Lola S2000 class race car for 6 years with water and Water Wetter only, and no glycol as required by racing rules. Back then you could only buy Water Wetter from Pegasus Racing or someone like that.

Water Wetter is a surfactant that allows the liquid to better wet the surface for heat transfer, as water has a naturally high surface tension factor, and needs help in this regard. Red Line makes some good products including Water Wetter, and I take exception to anyone characterizing this as a "fools errand"

I don't believe Water Wetter offers any corrosion benefits, and for that I am using the real Porsche glycol solution - just in a lower concentration. I change my coolants out every year or two, so I do not believe this is a problem.

If you really understand the data, it is obvious that glycol sucks as a heat transfer fluid. The only real thing that it has going for it is in depressing the freeze point. So, I will be using the least amount of this junk that I need to in case my garage heater craps out.

You may choose to do otherwise...

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote