View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
seventythree

Track Days, Check Engine Light, Cam Deviation

I have a 2002 Boxster base with 59Kmiles.
I have been tracking it since last year, with a total of 8 track days on it so far.
Last month, on the way back home from the track, a yellow light in the instrument cluster blinked a couple of times and then stayed off.
I couldn't see which light it was (can't see well anymore without my reading glasses ), but once home, I guessed it was either the windshield washer (wishfull thinking) or the check engine light.
Tracked the car again this Sunday and had a eventfree drive back home. But yesterday morning, on the way to work, the check engine light flashed a couple of times again.
This morning, I hooked up the Durametric and found the following:

Engine Fault Codes:
P0300 Porsche Code # 62 Missfire, damage to Cat.
P0301 Porsche Code # 63 Missfire, Cyl. #1, damage to Cat.
P0306 Porsche Code # 68 Missfire, Cyl. #6, damage to Cat.
P0306 Porsche Code # 66 Missfire, Cyl. #4, damage to Cat.

Ignition Range 2 = 0; No over-rev

ABS Fault Code:
5525 Incorrect data transfer with DME Module

Camshaft Position 1 Deviation -7.27
Camshaft Position 2 Deviation -8.20

Interesting observations regarding camshaft deviations:
1) Both readings were indicating zero (0) until the engine warmed up a little (until steam started coming out of the exhaust). No, there is no intermix issue here; I am talking about the overnight condensation in the exhaust system burning off.

2) Both readings remained rock steady during a short drive around the block. I had cleared the engine fault codes before the test drive and the stayed clear.

3) When I had just purchased the Durametric, I had looked at the camshaft devations and remember them being different. I'm not sure but probably -1 and -6 respectively.

So, what could all this mean? I need help narrowing down the problem before attemting any repairs.

TIA

Last edited by seventythree; 02-28-2012 at 09:22 AM.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote