View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Has anyone replaced the IMS with the original part? Sorry if this is a repeat. Searched and couldn't find anything. Going to drop the trans and inspect the IMS, RMS and the clutch and am trying to narrow down my options. Have oil dripping between the engine and the trans.

My dilemma is that even with the LN kit, it's no guarantee there will be no failure. Since the failure rate is not clearly documented - original or LN, I'm thinking the IMS guardian would be a better peace of mind either with original bearing (new) or LN one. But since the LN bearing is ceramic balls would the Guardian really be able to catch it in time. Being a magnetic based monitoring system?

Also if anyone has a cost comparison between the two bearings it would be great to know. Thanks.
First of all, if you go to Porsche, all you can buy in the “final solution” IMS shaft with the bearing already in it; this is the unit you have to disassemble the engine to install. And it is expensive as Hell, more than twice the cost of an LN update unit……. Your only alternative here is the OEM style replacement Wayne has developed, but it is my understanding that he will be recommending replacing it every 30K miles, which will rapidly escalate its “cost of ownership” way outside that of the LN unit.

Both Jake and Charles have been very upfront in how their upgrade has been doing; the last I read was a total of four LN bearing failures out of more than a couple thousand installations. Three of the four failures were suspect (poor installation technique, or the IMS destroyed by debris from a different type of engine component failure), leaving only one that failed for unexplained reasons.

Regardless of the bearing materials, ceramic hybrid or steel, when the bearing starts to go, there will still be a ton of ferrous debris circulating in the engine; so the Guardian will function as designed.

There are no guarantees in this life; engines break for all sorts or reasons, the IMS is only one of them. You could install the best IMS replacement available, and spin a rod bearing the next day. Instead of looking for “iron clad” assurances, you should be looking at an IMS update the way most owners look at oil; you want to get the best possible product in the car in order to eliminate as many possible problems as you can.