View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
Burg Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmods View Post
What on earth.... where did anyone ask about safety or different style of spacers in that thread?! I'm talking about the wheels bolts mate. Was hoping to hear if anyone could share a source for good 2 piece wheel bolts that fits a 23mm spacer.

And in which friggin world you are where one would use sandwiches as wheel spacers exactly?

Bloody hell.... is it just me or this was spooky
Saftey, if for no one else but yourself is obviously important. I'm by no means the safety police but especially if you track your car or run it very hard, you need to take it into consideration. That said, there are for all intents and purposes, two styles of wheel spacers:

"sandwich" ones which utilize longer wheel bolts to hold them between the wheel & rotor/hub almost like a washer:

and bolt on which, as name implies, bolt on to rotor/hub and then (either using studs/lug nuts or a second set of wheel bolts) have wheels mounted to the spacer.

Reason being, wheels bolts have a recommended length to thickness ratio for tensile strength. Longer bolts, to maintain this ratio for safety either need to be thicker, made from a stronger material or have more of them. With a longer bolt, the wheel exerts more leverage which can result in bending or snapping of the bolt.

My understanding is pretty much anything over 20mm, for safety, requires bolt on not sandwich style. By your language though, it sounds like you are not concerned about performance but purely cosmetics.

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote