View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #35
WindwardBoxster

Post Experience with Warranty Direct

I bought an extended warranty for our 99 Boxster through Warranty Direct prior to our factory warranty running out. I can't recall exactly what I spent, but I thought it was almost $1800. I already had another extended warranty through this company for an SUV, but hadn't needed to use it yet. This spring, about 2-1/2 years after buying the Boxster and the warranty, I had enough problems with the Boxster that I finally took it in to the dealer. I needed to have the coolant overflow tank replaced because it was leaking (and the dealer reported that there is no repair because it's a highly-pressurized, sealed system). I also needed to have the passenger window regulator replaced and the emergency brake switch. These are all quite common experiences from what I heard at the dealer and read on the Internet. I had all of the work done at the dealer (Porsche of Honolulu). I didn't have to call Warranty Direct at all, the dealer took care of the eligibility verification and all the details on the work. In the end, Warranty Direct covered the full amount on all parts (which was very expensive), and most of the labor. Warranty Direct would not pay the dealer's full price for labor, and the dealer wouldn't just accept what Warranty Direct wanted to pay, they made me pay the difference. It must have been a significant difference, I didn't ask for the details. In the end, with the deductible and extra labor amount prorated to me, it turned out to cost me about $350 and it cost Warranty Direct about $1,550. It hasn't completely paid for itself yet, but the warranty is still good for more than one more year, and it has almost paid for itself, and it is transferable so if we do sell it we can use that as a bargaining tool as well.

We probably will sell it, because I already picked up a used 996 and I don't want to own this car without it being under warranty, it's going to cost quite a bit to maintain. Just had the clutch replaced at 65k miles, and it was pretty hefty (had to do the rear seals too because it was only a matter of time and the transmission was already off). The new clutch makes an amazing difference, though.
WindwardBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote