View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 07:00 PM   #26
woreilly

Utter dispair. Not only is the car still rattling at 3K rpm, it is now making noise at 2100-2200 rpm.

I found the perfect place to replicate the issue. I have a mile long hill near me, fairly steep grade for Wisconsin. The noise comes about when at about 25% throttle--the uphill allows me to stay on the throttle but not gain speed. More than 25% and the noise is still there but not the resonance. Gear selection seems to show the noise more often in lower gear.

I went up and down the hill trying to convince myself the 2100 rpm rattle was somehow different and it is different. It is not nearly as loud, not nearly the resonance the 3K rpm rattle has, but it's most definitely there.

Even my wife hears it--and that's saying something.

I'm going to try to record it. For MikenOH, it is in the centerline of the car (but also hearing it out the vents), close (or below) and behind where your elbow sits on the midline arm rest. The noise could be mistaken for a sick valve train until the resonance sets in and dominates the exhaust note. It sounds like a heat shield vibrating or (perhaps better) a metal room fan that is out of balance and beginning to resonate when you turn it on high. It happens more consistant when cold, but on my hill (Hwy TT in Waukesha, WI, 1 mile south of I-94) it happens when warm, too.

I'm going to call Porsche on Monday. I don't know what to say. This is a *frustration* that will require action and not words. Mrsparkle: would you please detail more precisely what your mechanic was saying about the issue, or was that really all that was said?
woreilly is offline   Reply With Quote