View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 11:18 AM   #11
MNBoxster

@cfos

Hi,

Once again, the logic of your argument escapes me. Emergency vehicles are equipped with Lights and Sirens, this is true. But often, at least in my Municipality, Police Cars and Ambulances respond silently. One often sees the Traffic light sensor light and turn to Yellow, then Red and a Police Car will cruise through the crosstraffic with nothing but the signal strobe going, the same is true of Ambulances and Fire Trucks (especially when returning from a Call). Also, if these were so important, why do we not see Deaf and Blind people (that's Hearing and Visually Impaired people for those of you born after '68) lying in the Crosswalks?

According to the CDC, 5,000 Pedestrians are killed every year and 77,000 injured in events involving Motor Vehicles : http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/pub-res/research_agenda/06_transportation.htm . Now, they do not distinguish between those crossing at Signal lights from those at an uncontrolled corner, nor do they distinguish between those who may not be sober, underage, chasing a ball between parked cars, etc. But, since most intersections in this country are uncontrolled, the number of pedestrians involved in a controlled corner incident will be much lower, lowering the potential victims of this device substantially. It is no argument to argue that something may happen if the likelyhood of it happening is near nill and you haven't demonstated otherwise.

Another thing you totally discount is Personal Responsibility, both on the part of the Pedestrian and the Driver. I was always taught to "Stop, Look and Listen" when crossing the Street, in fact, it was even printed on the inside of the Slicker I wore to school. Many of those Pedestrians who do not take Personal Responsibility for they interaction with Cars are going to eventually get hit no matter what. The same goes for the Drivers, those who do not drive at reasonable speed or constantly scan for Pedestrians are going to eventually have a problem, again whether the use this device or not.

So far as my endorsing the product, this is something you fabricated. I added a cliche' (the Perfect Christmas Gift) into my post to inject some levity exactly so people would know it's purpose was to amuse. You took it literally, which isn't how it reads or my intent. Not once did I say to Buy It, or recommend it, so I fail to see any endorsable effect of my writing. If I say HandGun am I endorsing their purchase or use? To you perhaps. Well I am not urging their purchase or use, just to set the record straight.

I have already stated that I would not buy one. Not for any Public Safety concerns, but because I am no better than anyone else. I have no special priviledge which allows me to ignore the Public Safety regulations imposed by my elected officials nor am I above having to wait my turn like everyone else, to cooperate with that effort to have Traffic flow smoothly, safely and with the minimum inconvenience to everyone. You just took everything way to much out of context. PEACE!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote