View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 08:25 AM   #9
MNBoxster

@cfos,

You make several points, but again, this device just changes the cycle interval, not the cycle. The Signal interprets the signal from the device and hastens the cycle sufficiently that the light turns Green on your approach. This includes the pedestian cycle as well. And, there is a verification light which tells the Driver that the Signal acknowledges and is going to change.

In order for this device to work at all the Traffic Signal must have the OptiCom System installed on it or the device will do nothing - that alone eliminates tons of towns, cities and municipalities in which this device will even work - for instance I know that Chicago, Miami, San Fran., even Mpls. don't have the system. And, in any Municipality which does use the system, all they would need to do is recode the system's pulse frequency to neutralize the gadget.

So far as Manhattan or wherever, the same situation applies if the Lights were changed due to an emergency vehicle and last time I checked, the News wasn't splattered with loads of dead and dying pedestrians who got caught in the Crosswalk by an oncoming Cop Car or Fire Truck who altered the Signal's cycle with their Sender.
Finally, I am not proposing or promoting it's use. I don't have one... don't want one. I posted this merely in an amusing What'll They Think of Next... sort of way. RELAX!...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-08-2005 at 07:08 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote