View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #18
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
well the Porsche brand is teeny in terms of production numbers.

You have to take a big picture look at owning a P-car. Of course its not going to be as perfected as a run of the mill sportscar from Toyota or Honda in the reliability area. Those big maker's have mountains of R&D and service data from their road cars to rely on to share with their sportscar engineers.
Porsche don't really have that. But for a boutique manufacturer its reputation for reliability is better or as good as any other. You have to understand you are buying into an exclusive club sorta like buying a Panoz or a Ferrari.

outside of Racing and Porsche Club, Ask yourself how many people that you know own a Porsche? Most people seem to say less than three.
Hi,

C'mon... you're WhiteWashing the issues here. This isn't some mere Fit & Finish issue where the GloveBox Lid may be misaligned, or the Heater acts up on occaision, these are serious, blow-up the Engine kind of problems.

Regardless of Porsche's Production Numbers, they have short-cutted Quality in favor of making a Buck. The Posche of Today is a far cry from the Porsche's of Yesteryear in terms of overall Quality. Porsche used to be teetering on the Brink of the Abyss Financially, but they didn't sacrifice Quality. Today, they're in the best position in their History, and have the means to insure Quality like never before, but they don't. Could it be that they have sacrificed Quality in the name of Financial Performance?

Porsche is far from the Boutique Manufacturer you suggest. They are in fact a Low-Production Manufacturer producing sufficient numbers to warrant fixing the issues which have plagued the Models (986/87, 996/97) since 1997! All they've done is turn to BandAids without getting to the Root Cause.

And, One shouldn't care if the issues are due to Low Production or not. Porsche charges a Premium for their product which is waay more pricey than several of the Competing Brands.

For this they should offer more than the Bling of a Racing Heritage (not so strong of late), or a reference to a 20 y.o. Tom Cruise Movie. They need to provide a car which is at least near as good as those from the Giants.

If We don't demand it of them, who will? Things go on like this, and the much beloved brand will fade to obscurity because Buyers want more. If you love Porsche, it's argueably your duty to voice your concerns in an effort to improve the Marque.

IMHO, there are too many people caught up in the Mystique of owning one, Rich FatCats who want more to be seen driving one than actually driving one; who are willing to pay $$$ and have it in the Shop for the Priviledge. So they overlook these serious faults! Even you are guilty of this thinking by stating that there is some Exclusive Club which belies any accountability from the Manufacturer.

I certainly didn't buy mine to be in any Club, or for the Peacock Effect. In fact, after 6 mos. of ownership, only the smallest handful of my friends even know I have one. It's for me, no one else. I want it to go fast, maneuver like a Cat on Fire and live up to Porsche's Reputation for Reliability. That's what I paid for... not to hold my breath waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote