View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
larez2

It's all relative. What car are you coming from? If you are coming from a SUV or large sedan, the Boxster is of coarse very different as a commuter. You're limited on passengers and cargo space (although the 2 trunks can hold quit a bit). I personally don't like commuting in my Boxster in stop and go traffic because it's a manual. But that's really the only thing that bugs. The noise and ride are fine and do not bother me.

For the maintenance, it's more expensive. The 30k service for my Boxster runs about $1k (from the dealership) vs about $450 for my honda. Although I DIY'd the Boxster 30k service for about $120. 18 tires are relatively expensive - if they are the same size as mine, then you are looking at around $1200 every 15k miles for Porsche approved tires; it's a lot less (maybe half) if you use different tires.

Engine issues did plague a batch of 98'- early99' Boxsters, but I have not heard of any of those issues occuring on newer ones.

Price - I was at the dealership the other day and I saw a sign that said $10k off MSRP 05 Boxsters. That puts the base model stripped at just under $35k, then add options from there. So i think you can get a great deal.

One thing about gas mileage. I get 23+ and sometimes 25+ per gallon, but I have the 2.5 engine.

HTH,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote