View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:08 AM   #13
KShep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
Nice pickup...congrats !

A couple of observations:

I agree that the color wheel caps are a must, but I think the clear side markers are even more of an improvement for dark colored 987s.

I wouldn't be in a rush to treat the top. Factory protectant is better than anything you're going to put on there. Interestingly I find that water on the top "beads" better five months later than it did when new. From the numerous net posts I've read there seem to be an equal number of testimonials of how "my top still looks great" between people who use conditioners versus people who just wet the top down. I think the problem with the Boxster top isn't wear per se, it's the pressure circles that appear (posted on this board as well) that have also been "engineered" into the 987 despite having a redesigned top. However the "spot" cleaning that Limoncello mentions is key.

I also wouldn't be in a hurry to clay your car, although it seems you have a prescribed regimen you like to follow. I'm extremely a-rententive about my car too and also a huge fan of the benefits of claying, but clay is a "restoration" agent and you aren't restoring at this point. I have a dark 987 myself and from personal experience would agree with those who suggest that you touch the paint as little as possible.
I agree on the clear side markers.

The top is not beading water at all...is this normal? I mean it looks saturated, even though a pass with the waffle weave towel did a good job drying it off. I don't intend to treat of wash the top any more than necessary...but this saturated look has me puzzled.

The surface of the paint feels rough to the touch. Before starting the Zaino process I really need to remove any surface contaiminants so they are not sealed in with the polymer layers...and claying is the only way I know how to accomplish this. I only clay once a year or if there is a bug or other stain that is stubborn.

If the paint felt really smooth I would agree that claying was not needed. I'll do a small section and see what the clay pulls out. If it's clean then maybe a good wash willl do the trick.

Thanks for the info...I do appreciate any input. I'm no expert on paint and have read that German clear coat is "softer" that what US and other automakers apply, so special care is called for. I'll ease into the process and report any unusual or helpful findings.

edit: here is a link to a free guide on detailing from autopia that I find helpful. Just download onto your desktop. (If a mod knows of a better place for this please move, or if it is against the rules to post such links please pm)

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html

Last edited by KShep; 10-06-2005 at 09:51 AM.
KShep is offline   Reply With Quote