Thread: Back up camera
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
itoy

Back up camera

I installed my back up camera when I replaced my original stereo with Chinese made double din 7" Radio/DVD/GPS unit. Installation is quiet difficult specially on where can you run the wires. I did not use the camera included from the set because it is a CMOS type camera. CMOS camera will not give you a real color and sometimes, in low light situation the picture looks grainy and almost black & white even when the IR is on. Instead I bought a CCD camera from ebay ($80), see picture:
CCD camera is the same camera they used on regular analog video camera. Cheap camera used for the internet is a CMOS type. As you can see on the picture, this camera is design to be installed on top of your license plate. Unfortunately, you have to drill a hole big enough for the RCA jack to pass through. You have to remove all the carpets on the rear compartment to expose the mechanical latch and all the wiring going to the rear. You can fish out the wires from your camera through the rear body wall. The wiring going to your car's back up lights can be found on the wire harness. You can tap in your camera on this back up wire. Running your wires is the hardest part. I run my wires on the driver's side. I open the seat belt cover to get the wires inside, then open the door jamb/seal and use that cavity to get your wires to the fuse box. There is a lot of wire fishing involve.
itoy is offline   Reply With Quote