View Single Post
Old 10-05-2005, 06:20 PM   #3
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbox1
I have an 01 Box S and I'm thinking about replacing the top with the newer top that has a glass rear window and it is being on sale on ebay. Should I do it? Is it a do-it-yourself or do I need to hire a professional? Also, the seller of the top claims that the defroster of the top works. If that is true, how do I do the wiring?
Hi,

Replacing the Top is a DIY project, but for a somewhat advanced DIYer. I have never done it, but I've done everything on cars from rebuilding engines and transmissions to upholstery and bodywork, and I can follow directions well, so I would be confident enough to do it myself.

That's really the point, confidence. If you are confident in your abilities, and can follow directions, it is probably doable. From what I've read, it's a fairly straightforward installation, not really different than the OEM Top.

First, examine the current Top thoroughly so you have a good understanding of how it's installed and functions. See if you can visualize what steps are needed to both remove this Top and then install another. If you think you have it figured out, then find the directions (from a Tech manual - I have one and the directions are excellent) and compare what you thought with what they say. Most likely, they'll have some differences, but if you got the jist of it on your own, and you've read where you need to correct, you're probably OK to do it.

Patience will be the key. Do you have the focus to stay with a project for 8-12 Hrs.? It'll most likely take less time, but this is a fair measure. Are you attentive to detail? Fitting the Top so that it is tight enough to fold and deploy properly can be as much Art as Science. You may have to undo and redo it a couple times to get everything lined up and tensioned properly. Remember, the final result will make the care and attention worth it.

All this said, you're really assuming some risk. Professional Installation will likely run another $300-$500. Given the things I've mentioned above, do you feel it is a good risk for you to take?

So far as the Rear Defroster, I believe that the Wiring Harness is already setup to accept the Defroster because of the HardTop Option and it plugs right into this. There may be a Wiring Harness extension you must buy, I forget.

If you do decide to take it on, be sure to take lots of pics to aid others who may do the job in the future - like me...
Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-05-2005 at 06:24 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote