View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
Homeboy981
Homeboy981

Garage
Steering Loose! HELP!

Hi All! I am a brand new member and owner after 50 years of waiting I decided there were only so many sunny days left…better get out there and enjoy them!

So I just picked up a 2002 Boxster S with 54k on the clock. While driving it home from CA to TX I noticed that my steering wheel is loose. You can pick up on the bottom or top of the wheel about an inch or so. It has not moved or loosened (nor do I feel comfortable in it getting worse-hence the post). The problem seems similar to the issue the 911 forum members describe. The fix for them is a 928 Steering Column Bearing from Pelican Parts that slides in to replace the plastic spacer that degrades over time. However, after speaking with Pelican, they had not heard of this issue in our beloved Boxsters and suggested I post the question to the brain trust here.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there an easier fix than replacing the entire steering column?

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. Love the car! Puts a 2-mile smile on my face every time I hear the engine fire up! Next best thing to a motorcycle acceleration and handling-wise…without the bugs in your teeth! he-he
Homeboy981 is offline   Reply With Quote