View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by larez2
I just bought a gallon of the Porsche factory coolant, $46 bucks at the dealership. Expensive Stuff. It's is made by ELF, some euro company. I read a bunch of posts all over the Internet saying not to mix and a few that said it was okay to mix the same type (even if different color). If you are just topping it off, I'd just stick with the factory coolant / antifreeze and pay the extra (or use distilled water).

I heard from Tool Pants that the following 2 coolants meet the US performance requirements for Porsche (but are not technically approved by Porsche).

HavolineŽ DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant
Chevron DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

I was thinking about when I would need to change the coolant in my car (it's a 99'). But there is no service interval listed. According to Porsche the coolant never needs to be changed for the life of the car. Wierd. I'd probably change it if it looked dirty or I had to replace the water pump or radiator(s) or hoses or something.

Good Luck,
Larez2
Hi,

There is no such thing as true Lifetime coolant. The change interval s/b 5 years or 150k miles whichever comes first. You will be fine using the brands TP mentions or any of the Long-Life, Phosphate-Free Coolants. Changing at this interval allows you to drain any/all the corrosion and other contaminates as well as add a fresh quantity of anti-corrosive agents. BTW, be sure to use distilled or de-ionized water when you do.

BTW, Elf is one of the premier Oil Companies in Europe. It is, in fact, the French National Oil Company. They have subsidiaries throughout the world. Like Texaco or Chevron, they produce a brand of Coolant in addition to their Gasolines and Oils.

Happy Motoring...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-04-2005 at 10:35 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote