Thread: Soft Top Care
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boone
I bought The Ragtop cleaner and protectant kit and found it works great. Water beads up on it so much it looks like snow. Top looks really good, almost like brand new but the pressure marks and abrasions, although diminished, did not come all the way out. All in all it worked great. Plus you gotta love a product with the main ingredient being Paraffinic, Napthenic solvent. Hey, is this not the same thing as Napalm? No wonder there are warnings all over the can about not using near sparks or open flame!!
Hi,

I agree that the RaggTop is the best stuff to use. Keeps the top in, well, top shape!

BTW, Paraffinic, Napthenic solvent is not Napalm. The term Napalm was initially used only to describe the thickening agent (polystyrene) which was added to Gasoline. Of course, later, the whole mixture took on that name.

Napalm is actually a mixture of 46 parts polystyrene, 33 parts gasoline (usually AvGas) and 21 parts benzene. Had some experience with it when I was in my 20's- Nasty stuff!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

PS BTW, Parafinic Napthenic Solvent is the stuff we used to use when I was in the Boy Scouts in the early 60's to waterproof the Canvas Tents we used. It is essentially Wax suspended in Naptha. You Paint it on the Canvas and the Naptha carried the wax deep into the Canvas fibres. Then the Naptha would flash-off leaving the wax behind. Smelled very strong, and made you dizzy if you breathed it for too long! Hadn't smelled it in years until I treated my Top.

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-05-2005 at 06:54 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote