Thread: fuel enconomy
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 06:50 PM   #13
berj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

OK, this thread has just Officially gotten too weird. Discussing protecting the Environment on a Car Forum is like HandGun Manufacturers promoting their use for Sport.

You're deluding yourself if you think driving a Boxster or any performance car can in anyway be good for the Environment. Such a delusion may provide your conscience with a Feel Good, but that's about all.

Whether you're driving a Hybrid, an F1 Racer, or running a Lawnmower for that matter, every time you use a Gallon of Gas, you're releasing 5 pounds of Carbon into the atmosphere (think of it as throwing a 5lb. Bag of Charcoal out your window)! Do the Math - Gasoline is 80% Carbon and weighs 6.24lbs./Gal., 80% of 6.24lbs. is 4.992lbs.

No, the fact is, you're a Major Polluter, make no mistake about that. It doesn't really matter if you save 10%, then you're only throwing a 4.5lb. Bag of Charcoal out the window for every Gallon burned. Save 20%? Oh Boy, now you're down to 4lbs. No, the fact is, if you burn Gasoline in any form, you pollute. And this includes buying Clothes from Paris or Peaches from Georgia.

For me? I don't care! It's equally delusional to think that the Gas you don't burn won't pollute. Instead, it will be burned by someone else. Most likely some Chinese guy who's forsaken his Bicycle for a Beijing "Heroic", their newest SUV! Personally, I'd rather get the enjoyment from it.

The West's Economies have been fueled by Crude Oil for 100 years, it's the primary reason our Standard of Living has risen so high, so quickly. The Emerging World knows this as well, and they are not going to forego it's use now that their Time in the Sun has arrived. And they haven't even started to really consume yet!

Except for Nuclear, there is simply no energy alternative which has so much energy potential as a Gallon of Crude Oil. I believe we will eventually return to Nuclear Power for providing our energy needs, with or without it's present inherent problems. People will not wish to give up the Standard of Living we now have, in fact, they'll look for ways of increasing it, and this means Energy Consumption. Only Nuclear has the potential to replace Petroleum on a Wide-Scale.

Even you have demonstrated that your Environmental Conscience comes after your own Creature Comforts are met. I mean, it wasn't strong enough to keep you from buying a Porsche. I don't care if you bought a Boxster, just don't pretend you really care about the Environment. In fact, that's some of the problem - millions of people save a Gallon of Gas or recycle their Plastic Milk Bottles and think they're saving the World. Get Real.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
My friend,

You've got a chip on your shoulder the size of your car, poor reading skills and some pretty skewed logic.

1) I never said (read the post carefully) that my car was good for the environment. In fact I stated quite explicitly that I understood the consumption that went along with my purchase. I *did* however, say that there is a balance to be had. Gluttony is an ugly trait. One doesn't need to consume all one can simply because one can. I get enough enjoyment out of my car *without* having to consume every drop of gas that I can afford. Simple as that.

2) You've got a wierd world view when you say that saving 20% on something is trivial. If I can spend $80 on something instead of $100 I sure as hell will. If I can get the same amount of fun out of something and spit out 4lbs of charcoal and not 5 then I sure as hell will.

3) analogy: that $100 the old lady just dropped out of her purse would just be stolen by someone else so I may as well take it. *I* may as well enjoy it rather than someone else. That sort of ethics may work in your world but not mine.

4) You seem to be arguing with someone else (maybe it makes you feel better about *your* consumption.. I don't know) since nothing in what I said implies that I think one shouldn't consume or can life a life without contributing to pollution. But it *is* possible to contribute as little as possible given the life we choose. Everybody's different and to each their own. I was simply describing my particular position. The fact that you feel that I was trying to force you to do as I do is your problem, not mine.

5) I don't know you but just think of this one thing: if you've got kids or know people that do.. they've got to clean up the mess that we make. Certainly we're gonna make a mess but wouldn't it be nice to make a slightly smaller one?
berj is offline   Reply With Quote