View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
grtc68

Garage
997 S Throttle Body on 986 2.7L TIP

I just recently purchased and installed Pedro's TechnoPower2 (TP2) gadget on my 2.7L TIP 986. First, let me say that Pedro's gadget works as advertised (I don't have a dyno sheet, as a caveat). I recommend the TP2 for any 986 owner...you will not regret the extra power; however, see my before modifications, below, which I would highly suggest to take advantage of additional torque and HP increases from the TP2. If you have no idea what the TP2 is, please go to Pedro's Garage website. Pedro provides you good instructions and a help-line...if you get stuck; it's not that hard, except for one part (below).

Also - Pedro did not have a 2.7L TIP program set up, prior to mine, but he now has it; I was the guinea pig. I made a few recommendations to Pedro to help others out during installation. Although, Pedro is just a call away if you need him to talk you through; he's extremely helpful.

Reflections after 500 miles of test/grin "varied" driving (and no CEL):
- definite gains in torque (seat-of-pants dyno - but the obvious torque increase is enough to dismiss the money-out-of-wallet dyno effect). My Boxster is my daily driver, so I definitely notice any changes. Believe me, it's a considerable increase in torque...way better that the coffee can ricer gadets...lol.
- throatier exhaust sound is a bonus (i already have a DIY sports exhaust)
- bonus ROW reprogram...Pedro reprog'd my DME to ROW, so I can delete the 2ndary air pump--> weight savings.

Other modifications before Pedro's TP2:
- Fabspeed headers w/ sportcats
- 2ndary cat-delete pipes
- DIY sport muffler
- Cold air intake mod (dry cone filter)
- lowering springs
- TechnoTorque (can't reuse due to larger 997 S TB ); you can, however, reuse the rubber gasket...fits in nicely and no leaks...below is old gasket on the new 997 S TB T-section....exact fit.

- PowerChip reprogram

Some photos:
In the Box (Pedro needed my CLU+key...guinea pig duties)

Before

After (I had to cut the elbow by 3/4" to give me room for the rest of the piping...hence the extra protection tab)

The elbow to TB was a very tight fit...and consumed most of my installation...olive oil around the rim was the difference in the end...I was smoked (i.e. my butt was kicked)

even tried using a spoon...prior to the olive oil...LOL

AOS tube broke during installation...Pedro's instructions address this possibility and provides a solution: went to Lowes and bought a 3/4" heating tube for 50 cents. Dealer charges $148 + tax for the tube fittings alone...

Only one problem (my fault) - I have an airbag warning light on because I removed the CLU (under left seat) without disconnecting battery first. Pedro needed my CLU to get the 2.7L TIP baseline program; my DME was write-protected from PowerChip. If there is anyone in the DC area with a Durametric that can help me reset the warning airbag light and want to see Pedro's TP2 up close, please let me know.

I'm definitely a satisfied customer...I am not affiliated with Pedro’s Garage…just sharing an experience that I think some of you may feel useful.

Vroom-a-grin,
Kimo
grtc68 is offline   Reply With Quote