View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 AM   #68
The Radium King

again with the ripping people off comments.

from what i see, this post started 05-Dec, but you didn’t introduce your products on your forum until 09-Dec.
Johnny Danger asked you about a larger throttle body/plenum several months ago.
J.Fro got you to do a custom larger plenum for him last year.
IPD have been doing a larger plenum/throttle body for the 986 for a couple of years now.

my point here is that the concept of owning the ‘idea’ of a larger throttle body and plenum is tenuous at best; I do not think that you can argue that the idea of a larger throttle body/plenum was stolen from you.

so, we can only discuss what you have added to create your technopower kit, and whether this is (a) proprietary, and/or (b) of any benefit: specifically, a tune, and a plastic splitter added to an oem plenum to create the technotorque.

- i agree that a tune will add power in general, but disagree that it is specifically required to extract any benefit from a larger throttle body or plenum. this thread was about the larger throttle body and plenum. an analysis of how the bosch dme works, coupled with statements from folks who actually build, tune and race these cars, show that the dme can adapt to the increased air flow realised by a larger throttle body and plenum (this is why big guys like ipd sell their product without tuning). the bosch dme can typically store up to a 25% increase in fuel delivery (to adapt to a 25% increase in airflow) in the long term fuel trims (the ‘learning’ portion of the dme); no intake/exhaust bolt-ons will provide this scale of increased airflow outside of forced induction. given the above, the tuning component of your product is nether proprietary (there are many available) nor of benefit in this instance.

- i disagree that your technotorque provides any benefit. search this site and you’ll find that anyone who actually dyno’d the technotorque on its own did not see any gains. fluid flow analysis in this and earlier posts show that there is no science to support the technotorque either. given the above, while your splitter may be proprietary (but derivative) it is of no benefit.

so, if a tune is not needed to realise any benefits from the larger plenum/throttle body, and the splitter you add to the plenum is of no proven benefit, the ‘do it yourself’ solution is a $60 997 plenum and a larger throttle body (easily found for $100 on the used market); $200 max with required adaptors. let’s compare this to the pricing of your technopower kit as of 31-Dec:

- you sell your technopower kit for $1400.
- you currently sell your technochip flash for $500.
- if we subtract this from the cost of the technopower kit, you are charging $900 for a plenum and a throttle body (a $700 premium over our DIY solution).
- you sell your technotorque 3 modified 997 plenum individually for $300 (a $60 part with a proprietary plastic splitter added to it).
- Auto Atlanta charges $250 for the larger throttle body.
- this means you are charging $350 for several silicone adaptors required to install the pieces onto the car.
- it is understood that private enterprise must make profit, but here there looks to be profit taken on profit; there is already profit in the tune and the modified plenum, followed by additional profit on the overall kit.

given the lack of proven benefit, the $700 premium appears unjustifiable. i feel that for us to determine this in a collaborative, online, forum is not ripping you off. i further feel that your response to date has only strengthened this position.

Last edited by The Radium King; 12-31-2011 at 12:23 PM.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote