View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #114
Mike_Yi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Mike, $10K in 3 years and still needs another $3,500? Can you give us a run down of the issues?
Issues I've spent the money on....
MAF
O2 sensors
Brake rotors
used engine + LNE IMS Retrofit (labor done by me)
Water pump
thermostat
About 10 gallons of Porsche anti-freeze before I wised up and switched to Prestone

Issues need to have money spent on....
replace rear window
Head gaskets and all associated miscellany

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_inquiry View Post
That's about $300 a month, a little high but not excessively so, I bought mine knowing I should put at least $200/mo aside for repairs and maintenance based on information on Porsche forums. These are exotic sports cars made by a company that only makes sports cars (until recently). You didn't buy a Ford or Toyota, Porsches will cost more to maintain.
I won't debate with you whether or not these are exotic cars (I personally do not think they are). If you are okay with spending the value of the car to keep it running every 3 years, then you have a different expectation of quality than I do. Maybe you're okay with those kinds of costs. I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
However, if you purchase the right boxster (clean, maintained, loved!) the right way (with a PPI) at the right time (when you have the money for the best example you can find... even if it takes a full year) you can put that $200 in the bank for tires and brake pads and DE participation fees!
I would take exception to that statement. If you are a potential Boxster buyer and think this would be a great car to take to the track, think again. You might get lucky and have no problems. You will probably want to play it safe though and make some mods to give it a better chance of surviving the track, and that will cost you thousands of dollars on top of the cost of the car, and WILL NOT be any kind of guarantee that your engine won't be destroyed by DEs. This car was not built to be taken to the track.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote