View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
dghii

Folks,
I messed with two Boxster tops this summer/fall. Thanks to all the wonderful information available on various Boxster Boards, I had no problem getting things sorted.

I purchased a 98 whose top would not work at all. I replaced the top relay to get things moving.

About the same time, my 2000S, passenger side drive cable broke. I purchased two new cables and installed them along with new pivot rod ends (I screwed up and broke one). While awaiting the cables and pivot ends, I operated the top in manual mode with no issues. The top anc clamshell are not heavy and manual operation was not cumbersome in the least.

Even though manual operation worked fine for me, there is really no reason to be scared of the losing your power top operation as there are plenty of used parts available at reasonable prices.

The top mechanism on the Boxster is actually quite simple, one small motor($50-$100 used), a couple of cables($25 each), three limit switches and the two transmissions ($100-$200 used), which transition the spinning cable into a circular motion to drive the top and shell arms.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote