View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #111
Dale_K

I took action on this topic today and traded in my 2000 S on a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. And I just bought $400 worth of new rear tires only 2 weeks ago. That was money down the drain, lol.

The Boxster was pretty troublesome although I hadn't had a CEL in about 6 months. Things my car needed during the one year I owned it were:

Oil fill tube
MAF
Tip coolant control valve
Brake booster pipe
Coolant tank
Gas cap, bleeder valve
Alternator, battery

It smoked pretty often on a cold start and had a cold start rattle that might have been cam chain tensioners but also could have been valve lash adjusters. The rear window wasn't cracked (yet) but it was non-pliable. If I kept the car I kind of figured I'd be down probably $2k for mechanical work next year. It had 111k miles when I traded it.

Basically I came to realize that the high performance aspect wasn't really very important to me. What I really like are convertible cars and scenic drives at the speed limit. There is a lot of scenery near me. Jeeps hold there value terrifically and I have a garage so I can take down the top and leave it that way during the warm weather months. Maybe even take the doors off too. I'll never use the 4 wheel drive but a new convertible vehicle has a lot of appeal and the Jeep was only $21k. It's surprising how tight and rattle free it is. The 2012 Wranglers have the Pentastar 3.6 with 285 hp. I got the 6 speed manual, so it has a little sporty feel but obviously not the handling.

I'm going to have some stuff to sell so keep an eye on the FS thread. The Boxster forums are a fantastic resource.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote