View Single Post
Old 12-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #106
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
My daily driver is a BMW 550i with a 0-60 time of 5 seconds and the boxster feels very slow indeed on the street and exceptionally slow on the track.

I'm getting just good enough to pass cars in the course only to see every one of them pass me in the long straightaway so we can do the whole passing thing again in the turns. The only way to fix this is to get a faster car or putz along the straightaway to let the 3.8's and turbos get by me and waaaay down the track.

I've yet to meet anyone who is satisfied they bought the sports car with the smallest motor one can get in the model line. Whatever HP you've got now is never enough, just like cash in the bank, hair on your head, ram in your laptop, or the amount of sex you're getting from your woman!

And as to the choice of words "exotic" used by a previous poster, a better word choice would have been "boutique" car manufacturer... which describes Porsche to a tee. They don't make nearly as many cars as BMW or Audi or VW, so the cars break down more and need more attention than these brands.

Reminds me of a mechanic who told me years ago not to buy a Firebird but get a Camaro instead. He said they sold twice as many Camaros each year and they were a far more dependable version of the car.
You'd be getting passed on straightaways by 3.8s and turbos with any Boxster that did't have an engine swap. I did get a ride in a 3.4 swapped '98 once, and that car pulled impressively harder than my 3.2.

Boutique is definitely a good term for Porsches.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote