View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #6
fooksm

Garage
Hi,

I'm the guy who has been playing with reading and writing both the ME5.2.2 and the ME7.2 and whilst I would assume that there must be a way to read and write both whilst in the car (Softronic seem to be able to do it.), I have not been able to locate any information on the Internet as to how to do this via the OBD socket. The tuning world is a very secretive one and these guys don't give any information away for free as it would harm their own earning potential. ;-)

The only way 'I' know how to read the ME7.2 is to put it into "Boot Mode" first and the only way that 'I' know how to put an ME7.2 into Boot mode is to touch the location on the motherboard of the ME7.2 ECU to ground, whilst powering up the ECU. This requires no soldering at all and you could do it in the car by doing the following:

1) Remove the ECU (located in the rear boot/trunk.)
2) Open the ECU.
3) Use a CD/permanent marker to highlight the small strip on the ECU motherboard, which would need to be grounded, to place the ECU into boot mode.
4) Connect the ECU back in the car, still open (Probably best to use one of the nuts to hold it firmly in place in it's original location.
5) Connect a battery charger to your battery. It is always advisable to have the battery on charge whilst flashing an ECU in a car and it is good practice to do this whilst reading also.
6) Take a length of thin wire (Thin enough to be able to touch the correct strip on the ECU motherboard without touching any other metal.) and connect one end to an earth point on your car.
7) You will need a willing helper for the next bit:
7a) Connect the Galletto and get it far enough so that the software tells you that you need to ground pin 24 (The Galletto instructions for both the Porsche ME5.2.2 and the Porsche ME7.2 are just plain wrong!.)
7b) Your accomplice will need to be in charce of the power supply, a.k.a. key in the ignition, whilst you touch your improvised ground lead to the strip on the ECU, which you have highlighted with marker pen... Hold it for a few seconds, after your accomplice has turned on power to the ECU, by turning the ignition far enough to light the instrument cluster but NOT start the car (I seem to remember that 5 worked fine for me) and then release it.
7c) Click OK on the Galletto and it should start to read a dump of your ECU. If it doesn't then just repeat these steps, but perhaps leaving the pin grounded a little longer.
8) Once you have grabbed an image of your ECU, you can put the top back on and bolt it firmly back in place.... You will never have to do this action again on this vehicle! ;-)

The ME7.2 ECU can be written in the car, without having to do anything special, like connecting a pin to ground or standing on your right leg and chanting Porsche equipment codes backwards, but PLEASE make sure a battery charger is connected when you do this. ;-)

This is exactly opposite of what you find with the old ME5.2.2 which is in the 2.5 Boxster, by the way, as you can read it's contents easily but need to apply +12v to pin 60 (Not Pin 66 as stated by the Galletto software) when you want to flash it.

I use a company in England to modify the fuel and ignition maps in the file which I email them and their charge is 80 pounds sterling, which is currently around $125. NAYYY

If you want to know more about them, pleas PM me.
2001 Boxster S - 997 GT3 bodykit, Techart Wheels, Air Suspension, 2DIN stereo-GPS-Bluetooth-Reverse numberplate camera, rear speakers, Park assist, PSM, Litronic, Porsche Crests in the headrests, Rebuilt engine-IMS upgrade,Eurocup Boxster matched tube manifolds-twin high-flow cats- twin high flow rear silencers, Short-shift kit.

1999 Boxster - Xenon dip, Main and fog, Park assist, stereo-GPS-Bluetooth, rear speakers, sub-woofer
fooksm is offline   Reply With Quote