Thread: satellite radio
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2005, 06:34 AM   #13
cfos

This morning XM announced it's 5,000,000 subscriber. XM also reports that GM offers XM in 42 vehicles and that will increase to 50. Interstingly, a shop in the Bronx is selling fake satellite antennas (much like the old fake cell phone antennas. It's also hard to not see the high end BMW, Audi and VWs and Nissans without a satellite antenna suggesting that the marketplace IS accepting satellite radio.

Now it just may be MY opinion, but I still argue that the investment for satellite is small. Car companies are catching on because they want to provide the most options, especially on their high end cars. You can preach that they haven't met expectations, they have debt, etc., but what company doesn't? According to the various forums, Porsche was even getting into financial straits prior to the release of the Boxster. How about Delta airlines? Sure, not all companies make it out and still turn a profit, but we'll see, like you stated, what the future holds. As for technology, it will likely improve and become smaller. Just pick up a Sunday paper and flip through a Best Buy or Circuit City flyer. I'll guarntee that there are a few radios that are either XM or Sirius compatible. I think satellite is hear to stay... Oh wait... what is this I spy with my eye...

If you goto the "Build your Porsche" section and click on the Cayenne (Turbo), there is an option for XM or sirius ($990). Huh. I guess Porsche ALREADY jumped on the bandwagen too. So, I reiterate... it's a shame it's not an option on the Boxster.

Last edited by cfos; 09-29-2005 at 06:37 AM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote