Thread: satellite radio
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2005, 08:46 AM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
... I've wondered why Porsche hasn't made any offers of have satellite radios. I wonder if they feel that the antennas would mar the lines of their cars...? I dunno.
Hi,

I suspect that Porsche is like most of the rest of the World, which hasn't readily accepted Satellite Radio.

To date, companies like Sirius and XM have fallen tremendously short of their forecasts of service subscribers.

There have been some technical challenges - it requires line-of-sight - so no good in tunnels, some bridges and overpasses or in some instances, between tall buildings. And it can have poor reception in the Rain or Snow or even Solar Flare events.

Also, people just don't seem to want to get another Cable Bill for their Car radios. This has caused the once hailed Commercial-Free medium to start adding some commercial content just to meet costs (which isn't happening - the companies are losing Millions).

Add to this that download capable mediums, such as Ipod have greatly impacted the Satellite Radio preferred demographic.

Personally, I wouldn't invest heavily in Satellite Radio. I suspect it's going to end up being one of those good ideas which never really caught on.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-28-2005 at 08:49 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote