View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #27
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
The new small roadster is a shared project with other members of the VAG group so I've a feeling it will disappoint. There's talk of flat fours, but if I am honest I would only be interested in a naturally aspirated flat six. And I doubt it will get that.

I'm not even sure if it's even plausible for it to have even a flat four. That would basically require it to be fitted longitudinally and I reckon the other sister models will have transverse three and four-pot engines. Can't see them spending the money on engineering both longitudinal and transverse installations.

But that's OK. Plenty of nice early 986s to choose from. Relatively compact, relatively light. Lovely flat six. Job done.
It looks like Porsche is in charge of development for the project, at least I've read that VAG is putting Porsche in charge of sports car platforms.

I'm totally OK with a 4-cylinder engine. In fact, I've enjoyed all of my cars with 4-bangers, the Mitsubishi and Subaru 2.0 turbos are great. My favorite though was my 1.7L v-tech. In a small, light car, that engine would be a gem. Hmm, sounds suspiciously similar to the Elise that we have in the states with the Toyota engine.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote