View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #23
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
If only it were easy to add lightness to Porsches these days without losing driveability. I do have to say though, even Lotus is screwing that mantra up these days in some aspects (virtually every Elise and its derivatives being an exception). I'd much rather see a lot of these companies that built their names and the prestige of some of their models go back to the roots that got them there. I understand that cars will gain weight in the name of more safety, but my potential double-duty DD/Track Day car should not come packed to the gills with feel-good tech and anti-crash nannies. Airbags are one thing, but if the car was built with too much power and/or not enough handling prowess that I can't efficiently handle the car without a half dozen sensors and computers controlling it and trying to bend physics (ABS is an exception here IMO), then to me the auto maker is doing it wrong and needs to fix it. If I want traction control I'll apply less right foot as needed, thanks. It's getting to the point where one doesn't need significant defensive driving skills, reflexes, and knowledge of recovery tactics to save yourself from slamming into a guardrail or unintentionally getting sideways. Instead you get the car doing more work than it's ever had to just so you can distract yourself with all the extra crap that's in the car.

If it's supposed to be a sports car, and it doesn't help to achieve or expand that sportiness...just leave it out please.

When a Corvette is shorter and lighter than a 911, that is indeed a problem...she may be pretty, but things like that kind of take away the appeal of what you expected to come in the total package: sleek, light, agile, fast, and fun...for a price, of course.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote