View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
986_inquiry
2006 987

Garage
Anyone else have a dashcam?

I've been wanting a "dashcam" type camera in my car for years in case of accidents for insurance purposes or the occasional street racing but there really wasn't anything affordable available until recently.

I bought this off ebay for ~$50, should be arriving in a few days:
2.0"TFT S6000 HD 720P Car DVR Night Vision 30 fps Motion Detection

Features I liked:
--Saves the video every 2 minutes and loops it, automatically removing the oldest videos from the memory card
--supports up to 32gb SDHC cards
--2.0" screen for playback, so if there is an accident I can show police, etc what happened while onsite
--12v and li-ion battery, so I can remove from vehicle and show video to police, etc
--motion detection which allows it to stop recording when it does not detect motion and automatically start recording again when it detects motion
--140 degree wide angle lens records everything
--microphone

I know it says 720p but it's really not, the video quality is about average, here's a sample (I think)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1CHH5Y1Tw

I considered the DOD GS600 with true 1080p and a on-video GPS and speed, so not only does it record where you were but how fast you were going
DOD GS600 car camera + GPS Demo day driving - YouTube

but the DOD GS600 has no LCD so it can not playback video, costs $200 and the reviews are not great:
Amazon.com: DOD GS600 Car Black Box DVR & GPS Logger 1920x1080 HD: Car Electronics

The S6000 DVR is very small, about 2" cubed. Thinking of putting it in front of the rear view mirror and wiring it directly to the dome light.

So does anyone else have a dashcam or tried installing a dashcam before?

Last edited by 986_inquiry; 12-17-2011 at 04:45 PM.
986_inquiry is offline   Reply With Quote