View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
vijen6

Not an expert .. but I do play around with this stuff in my spare time .. my lesson learned was that its an exercise in false economy. I'll spend more $ ( tools, material, ruined clothing ), hassle ( dusty garage, chemical smell ), and time making something than just buying it. The pro shops have tools ( autoclave, infuser, ect ) and molds to crank this stuff out quickly on the 'cheap' with 'decent' quality.

However for me, its become a hobby, I enjoy the process and like the fact that I 'made it myself' .. more pride of ownership for me. Plus I can make things exactly how I want it to be .. things that's not yet available .. like a 918 front bumper for the 986. =]

What I see here is that you taped up your existing piece and poured foam in the opening, then cutting it out to form your shape. This forms your 'plug' and is the first step to creating a mold if you wanted to create more than 1 copies of the new part. However, the problem with your 'plug' is that all the surfaces are very unfinished ( tape lines, ect ) and will show through to your mold and finally to your finished part.

If you wanted to go for a 1 off piece, that's a problem too .. You cant just lay glass on top of this anyways, the tape would prevent all adhesion to the actual piece, so the only thing the glass would actually stick to is the foam ..

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but IMHO, its a redo. Hopefully I'm wrong and some other expert chime in.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote