View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Steve Tinker

I must say that my 2001 S (@ 50,000 miles) sounds a lot like Dales car's initial 1 to 2 second "chain being dragged over a log" noise - but mines only on cold startup (though Dales car ticks more than mine after the initial noise has died down).
I'm running Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, changed every 3000 miles, but that hasn't changed the noise since I bought the car from the OPC over 3 years ago.
I believe there are 3 hydraulic tensioners involved, which can leak down or get lazy over time, allowing the cam chain tension to become slack and noisy on startup. If I remember correctly, there is a newer version out that has a small keeper spring which helps pre-tension the chains. The engine has tobe locked down to replace /inspect these tensioners. Perhaps someone can verify ......
Perhaps changing to 15W40 oil will help prevent bleeding down?

I think a lot of us have the same questions - what are the long term affects of having the hydraulic tensioners slow in pumping up as per Jakes comment above - a skipped chain is the last thing anyone needs, but surely the hydraulic tensioners don't bleed down that far !!!
I'm assuming Marvel Mystery Oil is genuine & probably something we can't get here in Australia.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 12-14-2011 at 12:28 AM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote