View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
ppbon

I've installed three of them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam View Post
The IMS Guardian by Flat 6 Innovations has been around a while now and many of you have likely completed the installation. However, I have not noted much feedback here.

If nothing else, please describe how the installation went. And it would really be super if someone could report on a failure detection and just-in-time IMS bearing repair.

IMHO it appears to be a good idea but I'm not sure I want to invest in it. If it fails top do the job, you're screwed. If it accomplishes its mission and detects failure about to occur, you'll spend what you would if you just replace the IMS bearing in the first place (plus the price of the IMS Guardian, of course).

Checking oil filters for bearing debris is really smart but only if the failure begins just before the oil change.

Please share opinions and experiences with this product with the rest of us......
... already, and one in my personal car.

The installation takes a good 2 - 2.5 hours, but it's not overly complicated. And that includes removing the oil pan cover and cleaning out the oil pan completely.

I chose to install mine (rout the wiring) a bit differently than what is suggested in the video, just for simplicity. I found it much easier and quick to punch a 3/4" hole next to the aluminum access plate rather than use an existing grommet which was harder to access.

If you follow the instructions, it's pretty straightforward.

Some people have asked me why I installed it in my car when I already did the ceramic IMS bearing upgrade from LNE and my answer is that I track my car constantly.
If something starts to wear out in my car, I'd like a preventive warning as soon as possible rather than when the engine lets go.

The one gripe I had from day one, and I called Jake about it, is that with the top down, the warning signal is drowned out by the rushing air and the red warning light is washed out by the brightness.
Therefore, I decided to have one of my unused idiot lights on the dash light up with the IMSG warning, just like the CEL. If it ever comes on I can clearly see it.

Jake also told me that they're working on the sound (making it louder) and the red light (making it brighter) as we speak.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro