View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 AM   #17
Dale_K

Thanks for the replies. I tried 35 all the way around but the car rode too rough over cracked pavement. What I'm trying to understand is how the front/rear bias changes understeer. I always thought a low front tire pressure was kind of a bandaid to create understeer because the car companies felt that was best for their customers. Probably they arre right, too. I think Corvairs had unbelievable tire pressures - something like 15 psi on the front and 26 on the rear.

When I bought my car a year ago I was impressed with the neutral steering and when I checked the tire pressures, the previous owner had a reverse bias with roughly 35/29. I would have kept it that way but one of the fronts was cupped and so I bought new fronts only. Unfortunately I picked a "grand touring" tire instead of a sports car tire. I'm pretty sure that is the root of my handling issues. I test drove a newish Miata and it steered ten times as good as my Boxster. The new rear tires I just put on are the same brand (Kumho) but they are more of a sports car tire. I think I need to get something better for the front.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote