View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #8
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I appreciates everyones help.I am still decideing what is to be done.

I spoke with a guy my dad knows who restores old porsches to brand new condition and he said that the amount of smoke I got is normal and the atifreeze found in the oil does not imply anything cracked as that is a normal amount to get sucked in at roughly 5000 rpms.

I am thinking my best option may be to tell him to put the car back together the way it was and go buy a newer lower mile boxster.

How much do you think I could sell it for?It has 85000 mile and is in good condition
with a blown head gasket but may or may not need a new engine.It has a 6 disk changer,sport package,and tiptronic tranny that shifts like brand new.I was hoping for $14,000 to 15,000 . Is that reasonable,to high, to low???
Hi,

Your resale is tough to gauge not knowing the MY of the car.

I think you may have heard your Dad's friend wrong. There should never be a normal circumstance which sucks Coolant into the Oil. Exactly where would it get sucked from? What would impart this vacuum energy to the coolant? No, coolant in the Oil is positively a sign of a major problem, usually the headgasket. Rarely, but possibly from a crack as mentioned.

With a Blown Headgasket, your resale will be very low because the new owner will need to spend $$ to get it fixed and will want the car discounted well below what you can fix it for.

If selling, get the repair (just the Headgasket and a coolant/Oil change) and then sell it. You'll recoup your money that way.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote