View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 AM   #12
Ghostrider 310
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad View Post
Sorry guys, but just because i love to be informed, could some one let me know where a UD pulley would go, and why you would want one? I mean performance gains, but why?

The pulley goes on the end of the crankshaft, it replaces the current piece, a splined drive which matches the rubber drive belt. When you change the diameter of this drive, it changes the speed of all the pieces it rotates, like the ps pump, oil pump and AC. The result in reducing turning speed is to return power to the engine as the torque needed to spin everything is reduced. Think of using a larger gear on a ten speed bike at a hill. If you decide to use one know that the case needs to be altered and it's important not to destroy the threaded piece to be altered as it comes into play when doing engine work. One should trim it carefully only enough to accommodate the new gear, it's Aluminum and soft as butter. Lastly, the reduction variation may be for track versus daily driver, if you reduce the spin too much you are not charging the battery efficiently and AC I'm thinking would be horrible, the good news? You can actually feel an under pulley right in the seat of your pants.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote