Thread: Go Porsche!
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #11
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Pretty strong accusations.

Do you have any proof that this is occuring?
Hi,

Proof of what? That JD Powers is a Marketing Company? Or that their surveys are contracted by Automakers and not Independent? These are facts and require no proof. More to the point, do you have any evidence that what I say is not true?

And, I am not accusing them of anything, just stating the facts. They're not doing anything wrong. They don't present their surveys as unbiased, if they did, then they are probably breaking the law, but they don't. One interesting thing though is how both Consumer Reports and Gallop spend a great deal of time explaining to you how the survey was conducted and the methodology used, they want you to be assured that their surveys are fair and balanced. But, JD Powers never says how the survey was conducted, they spend no effort to establish your confidence.

As I've said repeatedly, there is nothing illegal about what they are doing. There isn't even anything wrong in what they are doing, they are a Marketing Firm assisting their Client in putting the Best Face on their product to increase Sales and Market Share. They're no more guilty of wrongdoing than the Art Dept. which Airbrushes the Car Photos for the Print Ads. Do you really believe that JEEP climbed to the Top of the Mountain? That's what they want you to think, even if subliminally. Or my current favorite, the Underarm Deoderant commercial which demonstrates that Bears won't be able to smell you if you use it. I know that's why I roll it on in the morning - to ward off the Bears!

To comply with Truth In Advertising Laws, they do conduct surveys, just as they say. But, they are under no obligation legally or morally to conduct an Unbiased survey. By carefully selecting the demographic they survey and equally carefully composing the questions, they are fairly assured of achieving the outcome they're looking for. Not only that, but they are under no obligation to publish the results of the survey if it were to turn out unfavorable, or to keep conducting surveys until they get the results they want.

They are a Marketing Firm which contracts their services to Automobuile Manufacturers. Ever wonder why Automakers don't regularly use Consumer Reports or Gallop surveys in their advertising? Because they cannot be assured of the outcome. And, if they started quoting them, they'd have a precedence to keep doing it which might not always be favorable.

A quote from JD Powers own prospectus "J.D. Power and Associates is an international marketing information firm..." This is how they describe themselves. Now I doubt that Consumer Reports or Gallop describes themselves in this same manner.

No, they do nothing illegal, it is up to the Consumer to look past these kinds of Marketing gimmicks to get the facts upon which to make their Buying Decisions. It falls under the heading of Caveat Emptor.

Marketing to people is an amazing thing. All sorts of things can positively effect one's perception of a Company or Product. Why do you think Companies only use Pretty people with straight teeth and long lean bodies to represent their products? These surveys are very influential, unfortunately this probably means most of us are pretty gullible. I had this conversation once before about JD Powers and got quite a bit of resistance from people who would rather go on believing that JD Powers was the Real Deal than admit that they were duped.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote