View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Gforrest2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
As parent of two teenagers (both of whom got their drivers licenses at 16), this has nothing to do with driving or parents - its all about prestige. Thus, kids will take an iPhone over a car primarily becuase the iPhone will give them the most prestige with their friends and peers. The iPhone is the top of the line, the equivalent of a Porsche in the phone world and most kids know that the car they are likely to get is no where near as prestigious. Thus, the majority of teens will take an iPhone over their parents crappy 1996 Civic or Camry every time.

For us older folks, having a car, any car, was the most prestigous thing we could own. And it meant freedom from mom and dad. Kids today don't share that yearning for freedom that a car brings because they get chauffered everywhere at anytime by doting parents and now you have to have the "right" car or its just not worth it. iPhone beats Camry everytime.

+1

Getting your license and having a hot car was the #1 priority when I was a teen. My kid had no interest in getting his license and he's 17. My co-worker's kid is 19 and still no license. He's happy to ride his bike or take the bus. Too many other distractions now days. My teen daughter who passed driver's ed this summer is in no hurry to get her license.....mom and dad drive her and her friends wherever they want to go (that's our fault).

Last edited by Gforrest2; 11-24-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote