View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb View Post
I think you could put the current flat 6 engine, Porsche V8, or V6 in the front of the 991 and basically have a 928 (water cooled, front engine, GT layout). True Porschefiles may have a problem with calling it a 911, but as long as it had the 911 name and general shape, the general buying public wouldn't care.

I just looked on the Porsche website and they list the 991 Carrera and Carrera S as the same width. These are the only two variants currently listed.

Oddly enough, in the 997 series, the website lists the Carrera Cabriolet, Carrera S Cabriolet, Carrera 4 Cabriolet, and Carrera 4S Cabriolet all having the same width. According to their website specifications, you need a Carrera GTS Cabriolet to get a wider body, which they list as equal in width to the Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Turbo Cabriolet, & Turbo S Cabriolet.

I've read conflicting information on the widths elsewhere, so I'm confused.
You can see the difference by looking at the cars themselves. The tail lights are the same part and spacing for all cars. They are flush with the side of a standard Carrera. On the wider cars, the fenders bulge from the tail lights so they are not flush.

This is the best picture I could find to show the bulge. It's a flat spot in the bumper along the outer edge of the tail light.

http://www.ausmotive.com/images/Porsche-911-Sport-Classic-05.jpg
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote