Thread: Wd40
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Not to be contentious here, but I'm pretty confident that most (all?) Bug & Tar Removers have solvents...otherwise they wouldn't work particularly well. I have little doubt that using them, while sometimes clearly necessary, does take off the wax. (The clear coat? Not so sure.) In that sense, WD-40 is no different. It is entirely possible there's other stuff in WD-40 that might, ultimately, be tougher on a car's finish, especially if left on for an extended period of time---I honestly don't know. As long as there is a reasonably priced product specifically made for this job, I'll go with it.

In a pinch I might use WD-40 for such a job. But (as is my practice with Bug & Tar Removers) I would quickly follow with a soapy wash mitt and a spray from the hose once the solvent had worked it's magic. Normally I'll follow that up with at least a little spray wax as the final step.
Totally agree, but the OP didn't ask about bugs, he asked about scuffs. There are no abrasives in WD40, just oils and solvents so it won't remove scuffs but will more likely do some etching if anything.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-17-2011 at 07:44 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote