View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #13
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
I made the mistake of buying just the cheaper key head, and it has the side effect of setting off the alarm if you unlock the door manually, and don't get the key in the ignition in 10 seconds. It's fairly annoying, but it is just my spare -- I'd bite the bullet and get the remote head. I believe our friends at Pelican sell them.
Did you have this key programmed? If not that could be why it's causing that issue. I imagine if you had it programmed it would just act like your regular key and not whack out your alarm. It might be worthwhile to have the programming done if you haven't.

And 97 Boxster, I'm not sure that the newer remotes will work with our cars. Hopefully someone else can weigh in on that, but I imagine it's probably not programable to work with the older cars, and certainly wouldn't pop your front trunk since I'm pretty sure those are strictly manual releases on our older cars. I also wouldn't be surprised if the newer key head is even MORE expensive...for that matter I believe they may even have a slightly different shape key blank (thank you, better word to use thank shank, lol).

And Brockmeister, yes, keyless entry was an option, particularly on the earlier cars. I'm sure someone out there actually managed to buy a base 97 with 16 inch wheels, no door speakers, no keyless entry, and maybe even no air conditioning, for close to the $40,000 base price the cars had back then.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote