Thread: Wd40
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 04:19 AM   #10
Frodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s View Post
http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

Mostly hydrocarbons ie fuels and solvents, with petrolium oil and a little other stuff. What do you think that does to wax? Or a clear coat?

Not to be contentious here, but I'm pretty confident that most (all?) Bug & Tar Removers have solvents...otherwise they wouldn't work particularly well. I have little doubt that using them, while sometimes clearly necessary, does take off the wax. (The clear coat? Not so sure.) In that sense, WD-40 is no different. It is entirely possible there's other stuff in WD-40 that might, ultimately, be tougher on a car's finish, especially if left on for an extended period of time---I honestly don't know. As long as there is a reasonably priced product specifically made for this job, I'll go with it.

In a pinch I might use WD-40 for such a job. But (as is my practice with Bug & Tar Removers) I would quickly follow with a soapy wash mitt and a spray from the hose once the solvent had worked it's magic. Normally I'll follow that up with at least a little spray wax as the final step.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote