View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #16
limoncello

Continuing the debate -
Rail, IMHO, bouncing the rev limiter did no damage to your car.
Warm-up: Not as critical as it used to be, for starting and driving normally. I think the manual even says you can turn the key and go. As an old-schooler, I still let my cars idle for 5-10 seconds before I pull away - it's just habit. Here's the distinction: I never drive hard (aggressive throttle, or above 3500 RPM) until the car is FULLY warmed. If the car has been sitting for 3 weeks, I warm it up carefully.
High RPMs: Yes, continuous high RPMs (the race car) will burn up a motor quicker than all gentle driving. But sports cars, like Porsches, should be able to take 100,000 miles of driving by Porsche owners. Running the revs up smoothly on a regular basis should not burn the car up prematurely.
Smooth is a key word. Slamming the drivetrain wears out parts. (Many an SUV'er does damage to the soccer van by rolling backwards and dropping the automatic into drive while still moving backwards. That's bad.)
Porsche and the Economics of Warranty Work: The rev limiter is an easy target because it's measurable. It's easy to say that high RPMs = abuse. Sometimes that's correct, and sometimes it's not. Running the revs up smoothly is a joy, and personally, I don't think that alone should blow my motor early. (Track time might, however, which I do. Explains why I have a car that's out of warranty - no one would touch it after repeated trips to the track. If it breaks I'll fix it.) But Porsche is erring on their safe side - not surprising, they are a business enterprise. It's probably true that some drivers lose some deserved warranty work solely because they rev'd out a few times, but equally true that other owners wring the crap out of the cars and then take it to the dealer to fix it under warranty. And the SUV owner that puts it in drive while rolling backward gets their car fixed under warranty, simply because there is no strain gage on the driveshaft. Yet.
Back to Rail: IMO, no mechanical damage done, but your dealer may try to convince you otherwise at some future moment.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote