View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 07:43 AM   #15
Brucelee

Talking

"No, I am not convinced that hitting the Rev Limiter, even on a consistent basis is much to worry about so long as you look after the car's Tune and Fluids. Every Engine I've ver seen Blow-up was from some other type of abuse, usually neglect."

I understand that you are not convinced and that is not my intention. You can drive your car off the rev limiter everyday and that is fine with me. However, it is factual that heat, friction and mechanical stress all act to increase wear in ANY engine, not matter how well maintained. Same applies to the drivetrain. So, all of these increase greatly as revs climb and the gas pedal goes rapidly to the floor.

As long as you understand that you are shortening your engine life, that is fine as it is your car.

Don't delude yourself into thinking that keeping your oil clean and plugs new is going to eliminate this "cost" as it will not. It will help but there is not cheating the man!

Also keep in mind that blowing up an engine and decreasing useful life are not necessarily the same thing. However, I would bet more engines "blow up" at red line than at 2500 rpms.

Lastly, if I understand your point about engine warm up correctly, it conflicts with every professional's advice that I have seen, which is to allow your cold engine to run about 10 seconds, drive off slowly and allow the engine to warm up quickly under light load.

AFTER the engine is fully warm, one can get more aggressive with driving.

If I understand what you are advocating, you would sit in the driveway until the temp gauges moves. Did I get that right?

If so, this theory went out with the 60s I believe.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote