View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #20
Overdrive
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
Chris, Who does this? I've hear references about the "chop" for years but have neither seen it done, nor done it. I'm on my 4th Porsche and second Boxster (3 of 4 have been convertibles) and I've never contemplated or performed any manual manipulation when lowering my top at a stop light or in the garage. Where does this come from?
people who don't want that wrinkle/crease/pinch that can happen in the central portion of their top's rear window. It happens to pretty much every top's plastic window, so they chop the plastic so that it has a completely smooth curve to it for the remainder of the top cycling. The colder the weather is, the longer it takes for this crease/wrinkle to work itself back out. Some don't care, some do. I believe it's more important for situations where the top is in the lowered position for a prolonged period of time, such as when people use a hardtop. Since that tends to happen in places where the weather is colder, there's more strain put on the vinyl when it isn't stored nice and flat.

If I ever dropped the top on the street I didn't bother chopping, but if I was in a lot or my own driveway, I did hop out and do the chop more often than not.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote