View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
deliriousga

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey
on my to work this morning ( didnt even get chance to bleed the slave cylinder) i put my clutch in and hey presto...... the slave cylinder has gone completely (i hope its that ).... not had chance to check it out yet, i just got the car towed home. a new one is on order......... i'll keep you posted....

thanks once again for your help and advice......
When you say "gone completely", what's the symptom? Is the pedal going to the floor and staying there or you just can't get it into gear?

Since I haven't worked on the 986 clutch yet, I'm going by my knowledge of the 928 clutch since they should be similar. With the 928, if there's a problem with either the slave or master cylinder such as a bad seal or air in the hydraulics, the pedal will go to the floor and not return. There is a pressure spring that pulls the pedal down to make it easier for you to push it in. The opposite hydraulic pressure (caused by the pressure plate pushing the clutch arm against the slave cylinder rod) pushes the pedal back up. When there's a breach or large air bubble built up in the system, there's not enough pressure to push it back up against that spring. A small bubble will cause the problem you listed before of the the clutch arm not being pushed far enough back to disengage the gears so you can shift.

If your pedal is still pushing to the floor and returning up without any problems, you probably have a worn release bearing and/or the release bearing is not sliding on the drive shaft properly or a worn clutch arm cup. I doubt that's a hydraulic problem. If the clutch arm cup wears, it will cause the clutch assembly to shift and mis-align the angles along the drive shaft. Same thing if the release bearing wears. When that happens, things can't move like they are supposed to.

Just thinking out loud.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote